2009-05-20

About Wolfram Alpha


I know everyone heard about Wolfram Alpha, tried it, liked it or not. I did not want to write about it but the ignorance of a reporter upset me so much that I had to respond.

He wrote an article about the new engine. Tried a few standard inputs, they worked, then asked "What is war?" receiving data about mortality in Romania caused by war. So he finishes the article deciding that the project does not have the necessary "intelligence" to answer his question.

On the About page of Wolfram Alpha we can read:
"Our goal is to accept completely free-form input, and to serve as a knowledge engine that generates powerful results and presents them with maximum clarity."

Where did he take the idea that this is some sort of artificial intelligence or Chat with God project? How is the fact that the site automatically discovered what country is he from, displayed mortality results from Romania including cause of death probability and compared it to the whole world unsatisfactory?

This is IGNORANCE! This is why I do not watch TV, read papers and especially I do not read the m*******g articles of a sorry a** *********** journalist wannabe.

In my opinion Wolfram Alpha is a very interesting and useful tool. It even knows the "answer to life, the universe, and everything". It's 42.

1 comment:

Venci said...

And you said that becaaause....